Small Gyri, Solar Plate
13 x 13
This print is part of my “Greymatter” brain series. The technique reflects a simple, fluid approach which supports the concept of mood change and the mutable nature of memory.
– Pre-expose Solar plate with stochastic screen using Nuarc overhead exposure unit. Cover plate until ready to use.
– Mix powdered graphite with #3 burnt plate oil.
– Roll mixture onto Solar plate smoothly, medium thickness.
– Create image by drawing with eye dropper and mineral spirits. Let sit a few minutes in dimly lit area until mineral spirits have evaporated.
– Expose plate in exposure unit (on top of the glass)
– Remove image with baby oil and soft cloth.
– Develop plate in tepid water 1 minute. Carefully blot and blow dry.
– Harden plate in exposure unit. Cover plate and let sit overnight to cure.
– Mix powdered graphite and Charbonnel 55985 as printing ink.
– Apply ink with small roller.
– Wipe plate with tarlaton in normal etching fashion. Do a final paper wipe.
– Apply surface roll with very transparent raw sienna ink.
– Print on Magnani Pescia Soft White paper.