Worker Bee, Multi-block Linocut
17 x 15
“Worker Bee”: As a beekeeper and relief printmaker I set out to do a linoleum block print portrait of a bee.
This multi-block colored print was made by hand burnishing oil base relief ink from individually inked blocks onto rag paper with a wooden spoon.
* Simple line drawing transferred, in reverse, with carbon paper, onto battleship linoleum.
* Cut away linoleum, in areas NOT to be printed, with gouges and x-acto knife. Finished “key block” served as guide for color.
* Printed “key block” image onto tracing paper then with colored pencils made color choices.
* Printed the “key block” onto clear acetate with water base ink, offset print wet acetate image onto several pieces of fresh linoleum, one block per color.
* Cut individual color blocks.
* Used acetate “key block” print to register each color block.
* Edition printed in layers of inked blocks, sequencing colors from light to dark with some overprinting on final key block print.